Content

The things I remember I used to do back when I was a kid.

2010/07/22
Because I felt like writing them somewhere. Also because I'm sharing it. Even if I have to laugh out of embarrassment.

  1. Walks and shopping at Subang Parade. Now Subang Parade was like, five minutes away from our old place in SS18, Subang Jaya, so we could easily walk across the street, go get whatever we needed (or wanted), and come back.
  2. Prayer time together. It was wonderful. Honestly. ^_^
  3. Music classes (also at Subang Parade, but on the first floor). I was in Yamaha Music School. ^_^ And during my first few years in YMS, my mom was with me. She being a musician, she could easily explain stuff to me.
  4. Lunches at McDonald's or snacks at Dunkin' Donuts or Baskin Robbins.
  5. Storytime. Mom often read Disney stories to me, and we even had the cassettes to listen to. I imagined a world in that story, and it was awesome.
  6. Sharing of thoughts. Also, it was during this sharing of thoughts that mom used to sing to me, tell me lots of stuff. I remember during one of these shared moments she saw me beating on my toy drum, and she took it from me, sat by me and played in my place. I looked at her with awe. That's part of what fuelled my passion for rhythm. In another of these sharing sessions, she taught me a hymn, "Softly and Tenderly" (The one that begins with "Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling..."). That same hymn was played on the day of her funeral and I really burst into tears because that was the first hymn I ever learned.
  7. Learning how to read. It was through a series of books and tapes. :D Not to mention that it was often done through song and dance, and where I couldn't bust moves, I'd run around the carpet (at least three times) before I got all weary and sat down.
  8. Trips to school (and to kindergarten as well). I could tell her everything that happened, as a kid. Problems were menacing, but less complex (think bullying, people calling names, me being isolated...).
  9. Those nights where mom would just sit in the hall while I practised my exam pieces. I even played other songs, just to bring us together. It was during those times that she taught me much of the songs from The Carpenters, Elvis Presley and The Beatles. ^_^ I loved it when the wind just blew on my face whilst I played, whilst she listened... It was great to have someone to listen to, appreciate and correct me.
  10. Study time. History and Local Studies (Kajian Tempatan) lessons were wonderful. She closed the book (or sometimes had it open), and she'd recount the entire history of Parameswara and the creation of Malacca, the British invasion, independence, freedom fights, the formation of Malaysia and whatnot, all offhand. It was a pleasure just looking at her and listening to her.
  11. Cuddling up with her in bed every night. I had someone to hug me every night. :')

2 comments:

Joshua at: July 23, 2010 at 4:02 AM said...

Even if I have to laugh out of embarrassment.

Haha. That's been some of my best laughs. Ever. A few months ago, my sister was looking through this oooold book with a bunch of my old drawings. I laughed so hard I cried, and that's a pretty rare occurrence. :)

Troisnyx at: July 23, 2010 at 4:53 AM said...

Oh wow. ^_^

Post a Comment

TWITTER FEED