Content

A sad day in the life of a self-taught drummer

2010/06/05

I could feel the rhythm flowing in my veins for some weird reason. I was in the midst of playing Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories and the first Kingdom Hearts when my incessant urge to drum reached its peak. So, after several months of not having been able to beat the drums, I finally connected the wires and got ready.

For some reason, I just felt at a loss on what to play, and I broke down and cried.

Truth be told, I'm scared to play whenever anyone's around. Yes, I am passionate about the drums, but I often feel at my best when the course is clear, when there's no one else around. And another factor which led to my breakdown was that I saw someone's extremely good drum solo. Now, when I say "extremely good", it only implies that I see myself as a person without skill. I've only grappled here and there, I'm self-taught, and I wonder how it is that drummers can move their hands really fast. The more I try, the more I fail, and the more I keep wondering...


I don't want today to repeat itself. I wish I can play something spectacular one day.... :'(

EDIT 2010.06.06 : Oh, and...



Pretty blur, but from where I live, this is all that remains of MEI Furniture Plaza. After the huge fire destroyed it.

2 comments:

Joshua at: June 12, 2010 at 3:57 AM said...

I wonder how it is that drummers can move their hands really fast.

Don't know. But they were most likely slower when they started. :)

In fitness, there's something called Interval Training (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/richb3.htm). Maybe you could apply that to drumming. You are an intelligent girl, Annette; if something's not working for you, attack it from a different angle. Maybe work on strengthening your hands and arms, too--strong hands are fast hands.

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I know you will to play; there's no doubt about it. What will separate you from the other guys, though, is playing even when don't have the "rhythm flowing". :)

Troisnyx at: June 12, 2010 at 4:13 AM said...

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" - how true ! I was actually thinking about this quite a lot of times.

I just hope and pray I'll get there...

Post a Comment

TWITTER FEED